Here is how you can protect your most valuable marketing asset!
You’ve put a lot of thought and creativity into yourwebsite, probably your most productive marketing channel. Don’t fall prey to the latest security attack and lose all your hard earned equity.
More than 60 million websites using WordPress are under a denial-of-service (DoS) attack. This DoS attack was discovered by Nir Goldshlager, CEO of Break Security. It is an attempt to prevent access to a selected website or web server by capturing and overloading its available memory and processing resources. In some cases the website actually may crash.
WordPress Versions Affected
WordPress 3.5 – 3.9 (Version 3.9.2 and later will not be affected by this attack)
A patch for this DoS vulnerability is available. We recommend that you do the following:
- Log in to WordPress and check the bottom of your screen. The WordPress version will be displayed there.
- If yours is a vulnerable version, click on the link shown to upgrade WordPress to the latest version.
Help is available if you are unsure about performing the upgrade:
- Click on the following link:
- Contact IWD
- Phone: 203.307.5107
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note to Drupal Users
Drupal (Versions 6.x – 7.x) also is vulnerable to this DoS attack.
Is curiosity getting the better of you? Are you wondering if you should click that pesky little “please update now” link in the dashboard of your WordPress website? Well, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is, yes, you should be paying attention to keeping your website up to date. Why?
- Security – Outdated software and components mean higher risk of viruses and exposure to hackers. Every time WordPress releases an update it means the previous version has vulnerabilities that have been resolved. Just as you update your anti-virus software quarterly or annually, you need to use the same vigilance with your website.
- Site Improvements – Code is getting leaner and faster. A software update can speed your site load times. Keep in mind that Google and other major search engines factor load time into their ranking results. A slow load time may mean a competitor’s site that loads faster gets ranked higher.
- New and improved functionality – The public has grown pretty sophisticated about what they want and expect from a website. Using out of date technology may reflect poorly on your business. For example, is your website compatible with mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets? If your website is providing ecommerce, are you offering a full-range of options to enhance your customer experience?
Here comes the bad news…
As with any software or plug-in update there are risks to take into consideration when updating your WordPress site. What are the risks?
- Breaking your site – By updating a component and not checking for compatibility with your website you may break the layout/design of the site and impact the functionality.
- Inaccessible – An update may cause the site to go down and make it inaccessible to browsers or display an error page. Another accessibility issues when updating a site may occur when there are excess files that need to be removed. If not removed, the site may not load, leaving you scratching your head and calling in an expert.
- Lack of experience – There are precautionary measures to take when doing a site update. Infinite Web Designs is experienced in these site maintenance precautions which ensures a smooth updating process. That will save you time and aggravation!
Interested in having us help you?
We are offering a special new year package, contact us today! 203.307.5107 or email us at email@example.com
The Infinite Web Designs Team is proud to present to the world the new website for Connecticut’s Women’s Business Development Council (WBDC). There has been a lot of hard work that has gone into this project from branding to designing, and we are so excited to show it off.
WBDC is a non-profit, micro-enterprise, development organization. Their goal is to empower women (and men) to succeed in business by providing education, training, and support. Every year WBDC councils over 1,000 aspiring entrepreneurs to succeed in the real-world of business.
Here are some other fun facts about WBDC that you can find on their website:
- More than 55% are low to moderate income
- Nearly 60% are planning or beginning to start a business
- 82% are female and 18% are male
- Approximately 40% are minorities
- Approximately $36 million in gross revenues is generated annually
- Approximately 70% of clients who enroll in WBDC FastTrac business planning programs are currently in business
So, make sure to check out WBDC; not only because they have a fantastic new website, but because you might find a workshop or two that will help you in your business. For a small $60 donation you can get listed in their WBDConnect directory. An inexpensive way to market your product / services and you will be supporting a great organization!
Like what you see? Contact IWD today at (203) 510.3134 to talk about your company’s future possibilities.
Infinite Web Designs is excited about a new WordPress website project that signed today! This website will be a small information and search engine optimized website promoting a newly established consulting business.
The focus of the website is to increase leads and gain exposure in the following Connecticut towns: Darien, New Canaan, Norwalk and Westport.
Target launch date is for May 3rd. We will be sure to announce the launch of the site for all to take a look.