June 5th was a HUGE day for us at IWD as we launched our first large-scale municipal project. The Board of Library Trustees of the Fairfield Public Library generously funded a new website for their library system and we had the privilege of helping make their vision come alive! It took 15 months to complete the project and we couldn’t possibly be more proud and excited.
Fairfield Public Library located in Fairfield, CT is comprised of a Main Library and a Branch known as Fairfield Woods. Their website averages over 2 million hits a year and their physical libraries serve an average of over 2,000 patrons a day. In a town with a population of 59,000 it’s clearly a hot spot.
Analysis conducted by IWD alongside FPL staff showed some key elements of the previous FPL website were under accessed by the public; that data gave us a great starting point. Because the FPL staff work with the public every day, they came into planning sessions with impressive insight regarding what the new site needed to best serve the public.Of course the design needed to be visually attractive but at the core of everything was navigation, navigation, navigation! This meant organizing content in a manner that was intuitive, making it easy to access for all ages. Because the library offers such a wide range of services and programs, there was a lot of information to incorporate into the architecture.
Some of the major design elements incorporated into the new website:
- Automatic updated feeds for new library materials and programs on the home page
- Hours and contact information highly visible and easy to locate
- Easy to find list of services and digital resources such as databases
- Events calendars are automatically updated on the homepages (Main, Branch, Teens & Childrens)
- Vibrant background imagery on the Children’s and Teen pages of the site
It was a great feeling for us to work with a library we love in our own backyard! If you look up team effort, this project really fits the bill. That patrons are telling us about their positive experiences accessing information about their library and its wonderful services on the new website makes it especially fulfilling.
You don’t need to live in Fairfield to explore the new website, so we invite you to check it out. Get it? “Check it out”…that’s a library expression *wink wink.* www.fairfieldpubliclibrary.org
Is curiosity getting the better of you? Are you wondering if you should click that pesky little “please update now” link in the dashboard of your WordPress website? Well, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is, yes, you should be paying attention to keeping your website up to date. Why?
- Security – Outdated software and components mean higher risk of viruses and exposure to hackers. Every time WordPress releases an update it means the previous version has vulnerabilities that have been resolved. Just as you update your anti-virus software quarterly or annually, you need to use the same vigilance with your website.
- Site Improvements – Code is getting leaner and faster. A software update can speed your site load times. Keep in mind that Google and other major search engines factor load time into their ranking results. A slow load time may mean a competitor’s site that loads faster gets ranked higher.
- New and improved functionality – The public has grown pretty sophisticated about what they want and expect from a website. Using out of date technology may reflect poorly on your business. For example, is your website compatible with mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets? If your website is providing ecommerce, are you offering a full-range of options to enhance your customer experience?
Here comes the bad news…
As with any software or plug-in update there are risks to take into consideration when updating your WordPress site. What are the risks?
- Breaking your site – By updating a component and not checking for compatibility with your website you may break the layout/design of the site and impact the functionality.
- Inaccessible – An update may cause the site to go down and make it inaccessible to browsers or display an error page. Another accessibility issues when updating a site may occur when there are excess files that need to be removed. If not removed, the site may not load, leaving you scratching your head and calling in an expert.
- Lack of experience – There are precautionary measures to take when doing a site update. Infinite Web Designs is experienced in these site maintenance precautions which ensures a smooth updating process. That will save you time and aggravation!
Interested in having us help you?
We are offering a special new year package, contact us today! 203.307.5107 or email us at email@example.com
When creating a website there are many things that designers have to take into account. What will the website be used for? Who is it targeting? How should it function? The more a client shares with a designer about what they are looking for, the easier it is for the designer to create the website they truly want. IWD has been designing websites for 11 years; we have come up with a few tips to help you get the most out of working with your designer.
Know the type of functionality you want on the website
Are you going to need a shopping cart or maybe a contact form? Anything that is interactive on your website is part of the functionality of the website. This also includes slide shows, videos, and event calendars.
Be able to provide examples of websites you find appealing
The best way for a designer to get a sense of your style and taste is to see examples of websites you like. Looking for site samples will also give you new ideas for your own site. Remember, the example sites do not have to be in your industry. Pick sites that reflect the design elements you want to see in your own website.
Know the target audience and demographics
Who you are targeting will greatly affect who the website will be designed to attract. Take the time to do your marketing research beforehand. It is better to do a little pre-planning rather than go back after the fact to fix or re-design something.
Be prepared with the content (text) that will appear on every page
The number 1 reason a site gets delayed in launching is because the content is not complete. This is particularly important if you are designing a brand new website. Make sure to set deadlines for yourself and make room on your calendar. This way you will have the time to sit down and really think about what you want to say instead of rushing at the end just to have something on the page. Being prepared with your content will also help the SEO process go smoothly.
Have a good logo that is memorable, scalable, describable and effective without color
A logo’s responsibility is to create an impression on potential customers whether it is on a website or a brochure. This impression has to portray what your business is about while still establishing a personal identity. Make sure your logo will look good weather is it small or large, in color or black and white. This will ensure that your logo is versatile and will be easy to use throughout all of your branding materials.
Be able to provide high quality images or a budget to purchase them
Pictures attract people into your website. It helps create an atmosphere for your site and lends itself to the branding of your business. If you don’t have your own, a there are many great cost effective stock resources out there.
Be able to provide direction of what keywords or phrases you want the website to show up when searched
What are the products or services you offer that will draw in visitors. Are you targeting a specific geography. Geo-targeting will reduce some of the unnecessary keyword competition.
Be able to write good copy or have a budget to hire a professional copy writer
The content on your website is valuable for a couple reasons. Search engines read your content as a factor in determining your search engine ranking. It is also what your potential customers read and convinces them to buy your product or service. With all the money and attention to detail you will have on the website design, make sure you put equal importance on having quality content to back-up the design.
Are you having problems communicating with your web designer? Did you find these tips helpful?
For a while now, website content management software systems has been dominated by three big players: WordPress, Joomla, and Drupla. We get ask all the time, which one is the best solution. Well, the wait is over, we found an article that breaks down the important components of a content management system and compares how each one stacks up against each other.
Based on our own experience and information gleamed from this article, WordPress comes out as the winner by a landslide. In almost every element that you can judge a content management system, WordPress is superior. It started as a blogging platform but since then has evolved into this great solution for websites. Offering a slew of plugins to fit almost any functionality requirement, WordPress popularity and use has skyrocketed. We have worked with other content management systems in the past but WordPress is by far the most intuitive and user friendly, which is especially helpful for the end user.
What good timing! Due to the storms of this past weekend, many of you may have down trees, in great need of proper pruning or bracing for weakened trees
Andrew’s Arboriculture is a full service tree and shrub maintenance company servicing Connecticut. Russell Andrew is a fully insured, ISA certified, and CT licensed Arborist that can help you repair your trees and shrubs. Russell has been a leading expert with over ten years of experience, and has recently started his own company to personalize his services, and provide a better experience for his clients.
Infinite Web Designs helped Andrew’s Arboriculture with their first web design to make it easier for people to find them. With search engine optimization and the implementation of dynamic content, Andrew’s Arboriculture will be able to compete with the big companies, while still maintaining the personal touches of a small business.
So you only have 2 tasks to do today: look outside your window and survey the damage of your yard, then contact Andrew’s Arboriculture to get it looking like new again!